Sunday, June 19, 2011

Not a Father's Day and First Day with Metformin...

*WARNING* This post contains discussion of certain bodily functions you may not wish to read. If you choose to continue reading, do so at your own risk. You have been warned!

Today my head and heart are heavy. Today is Father's Day. I had hoped that we would be celebrating this year, but sadly, that is not in the cards today. But I know sure as I am writing this, I am determined to make my husband a father...we WILL be celebrating next year!

In other news, started my Met Friday night. When I first took it I got a slight headache and felt a little dizzy, I had assumed, though, that this was from the paint thinner we were using at the house. Not that we were huffing it mind you (lol), but the strong smell of fumes permeated throughout the whole house. Saturday morning I woke up feeling groggy and just generally blah. DH said he felt the same way, so I assume, again, it was from the paint fumes. We both felt hungover even though neither of us had anything to drink the night before. lol. So, Saturday we went to lunch. I had a big salad and started feeling a bit better. We went to run a few errands and it was then that it hit me, the sudden urge to go the bathroom; just out of nowhere; not even an hour after consuming my salad. We had to drop everything and run home so I could relieve myself; I was lucky I even made it. Since then, I have pretty much been living in the bathroom. I went three times yesterday and my poor bum is still sore! lol. I have gone twice today already; my tummy is feeling rumbly and out-of-sorts.  Let's put it this way, I better make our bathrooms in the house look nice since clearly I will be spending a lot of time in them! I will need pretty walls to look at. lol.

 Sorry if this is all TMI. It's a good thing I did some research on my own, otherwise I would never have known about this happy little side-effect and would have been caught totally by surprise! Amazing how our doctors never inform us of this stuff. What, are we supposed to just find out on our own?! Well, good thing I was prepared and armed with knowledge! From what I have researched, GI disturbance is the most commonly reported side-effect in women taking Met for TTC. And, oh, goodie, looks like I'm one of the lucky ladies! What they don't tell you is that this is why some women lose weight on Met, because it gives you the shits (again, sorry to be so vulgar. Hope I am not grossing out or offending anyone. My apologies if so.)!

So far this is the only thing I've really noticed that is different. I am a tough chic. If this is the only side-effect, I can deal with it. The only thing that worries me is that if this is happening now at 500 mg, how much worse is it going to get when I increase my dosage?! Kinda scary...Next week, I have to increase my dosage to 1000 mg, eventually getting up to 1500. I just pray this doesn't get any worse! Anytime it gets bad and I feel like I can't take it anymore, I will just remind myself what all of this is for and tough it out. Hopefully this will get better soon and not last forever. There have been women who have had to eventually go off of it because they couldn't handle the side-effects anymore (mainly the stomach issues), but I won't do that. I won't give up!

OK, enough about that for now...

Happy Father's Day to all the dads, soon-to-be-dads, and hopeful future dads, can't forget about them on Father's day...my DH included. =]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my site and weighing in on my big decision. It means so much to have this supportive forum, especially for those moments where I feel entirely lost! I agree with your sentiment - Metformin is no fun! I had just a bit of GI when I first began, but now my body seems used to it in that regard. However, I upped my dose to 1000 this week and felt very nauseous for a few days. It has subsided for the most part, but I still get waves of it here and there. My doc said that if you feel awful on it, go down to the lower dose where your body was able to handle it. Just something to keep in mind as you increase your doses.

    Looking forward to following your journey! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your reply. I have to up my dosage of Met 1000 tomorrow, and then to 1500 next Friday. I'm kinda nervous that the increase may worsen my side-effects, but hopefully not! Thanks for the heads up of what I might be in for. =] Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete

 

One Woman's Journey to Motherhood Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez