Monday, May 23, 2011

Making Changes!

For the last few weeks I have been talking about how much I would like to lose weight, get in shape, exercise, etc. In a few weeks I will begin the Metformin and so I figure this will be a good catalyst for changing my eating habits. Here's a quick run down of what I consumed this weekend. Friday night: Pizza and bread sticks from Pizza Hut. Saturday: I-Hop for breakfast/lunch, where I ordered chocolate chip pancakes and ate almost allllllll of them, leftover pizza for dinner, and then cookies for a snack. Sunday: Pancakes again (thanks grandma)! Steak, potatoes, and salad for dinner, cake for dessert. Monday: This morning for breakfast I ate 3 powdered donuts, and even as I write this there is a bag of Cheetos sitting in front of me on my desk (again, courtesy of grandma). Boy, when I write it all out like this it is far worse than I realized! Hello, Carb City!

Looking at this it is hard to believe I am not morbidly obese! I am definitely overweight, though. I am 5 feet 2 inches tall and 140ish pounds. This is the most I have ever weighed in my life! And my fear is that if I don't do something soon, the scale will only continue to climb! Growing up I never had a weight problem. In high school I was always thin (under 100 lbs) and had a very high metabolism. I never even had to think about what I put in my mouth and could eat whatever I wanted (man, do I miss those days)! After high school things began to change (I think PCOS is partially to blame). I met my now husband about a year out of high school, and the following year we were sharing an apartment together. It was during this time that my eating habits began to change. We were eating out a lot more, eating more sweets and junk food, just generally unhealthy eating. I stopped having regular periods (going 3-4 months at a time without one), and started putting on weight. I had previously stopped BCPs after being on them for about 5 years, so I thought that was the problem and that it would eventually sort itself out, but the lack of periods continued (and still does). It has taken a long time of this for me to pack on the 40+lbs. It didn't happen overnight, but it happened. And now it needs to stop!

When I start the Metformin I am going to need to seriously alter my eating habits. This means cutting out carbs, sweets, starches, etc. And probably caffeine as well (which means no more trips to Starbucks)! I need to give this medicine the best chance of working for us and that means making healthier choices.  The way I see it, this will be a very small price to pay if it means these meds will get us pregnant! I read somewhere that "Losing as little as 5% of your body weight can help balance hormone levels and improve fertility." My goal is to lose at least 10 lbs. Who knows, If I could lose the weight maybe I wouldn't even need the Metformin and ovulation could be restored on its own. I am hoping the Metformin will help me shed the pounds, but I can't just sit around and expect it to do all the work. I need to do this for our baby. Now.

DH and I both agree that we need to change our eating habits and start making better lifestyle choices. The problem is we are currently living with my grandmother. I'm sure you all know how grandmothers can be, constantly making desserts and sweets; nice, but sabotage when it comes to any weight loss progress. Not to mention the weekly fried goodness. So for now we are waiting to get settled into house, which will hopefully be  in a few weeks.

And speaking of the house, haven't heard anything yet today. They said Monday or Tuesday, but I'm guessing it won't be until Friday again. Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

One Woman's Journey to Motherhood Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez