Friday, May 13, 2011

Doctor's Appointment.....

So, the good news is, I got the Metformin (generic version of glucophage), the bad news, I have to do one more month of bcp first. But at least he went ahead and gave me the prescription so as soon as I get done with this last round of bcp I can get started on the Metformin right away. I am almost tempted to skip the bcp and go straight to the Metformin, well, almost. lol.  Logically I know it could only benefit me more in the long to go ahead and do this third month of bcp if it's what my doctor thinks is best.Fortunately, I am blessed to have an OB/GYN whom I trust and have a great rapport with.

In other news, lab results came back good. Testosterone and dhea all normal, even if at the high end of. Doc says quote, "all of your parts work perfectly." lol (gotta love this man's humor, such a way with words). He says, "you are doing very well." When I asked him about the success rate with Metformin he responded, "It has a fairly good chance of working in your case." I realize he can make no guarantees, so I suppose I'll take what I can get.

I am anxious to start the medication, but at the same time really nervous about possible side-effects, as I suppose one would be any time they are starting a new medication. Metformin has many benefits for conception and pregnancy, including the following:

Restoration of Normal Menstrual Cycle  - "A number of studies have shown that normal menstruation can be restored in many women with PCOS. According to one study, 43 women who were not having periods took Glucophage (Metformin), and 39 of them resumed normal menses."


Improved Chance of Pregnancy - "A study of 48 women with PCOS and Infertility were conducted. They were first given Metformin and 19 of them resumed menstruating and showed indication of ovulation. 10 required Clomiphene  in addition to the Metformin in order to show evidence of ovulation. 20 women of the 48 (42%) became pregnant. However, 7 of the 20 miscarried."

Reduced Risk of Miscarriage - "Another aspect of PCOS-related infertility is the tendency for repeated miscarriages. One study looked at 65 women who took Glucophage (Metformin) during their pregnancies vs. 31 who did not.  The first-trimester loss rate in the Metformin group was 8.8% as compared to a 41.9% loss in the untreated group. Of those women who had previously miscarried, 11.1% of the Metformin group miscarried again, while 58.3% of the untreated group miscarried."


Reduced Risk of Gestational Diabetes - "In another study, gestational diabetes risk was evaluated in two groups of PCOS women. The first group was 33 non-diabetic women who had conceived while taking Metformin or took it during their pregnancy. This group was compared to 39 PCOS women who did not take it. Only 3% of the Metformin group developed gestational diabetes as compared to 31% in the non-Metformin group."  

Other Benefits - "Metformin may also contribute to weight-loss, lowering of cholesterol and testosterone levels (yay!), as well as improving success with in-vitro fertilization."

Taken from: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/glucophage-metformin-pcos.html

So, the plan is for me to take the Metformin for 3 months. For the first week I will take a pill once a day, the next week I will take it twice a day, and from the third week onward I will take it three times daily (hope I have all this straight), so that's 500mg (1500mg total) three times a day. I am choosing to enter into this with hope, optimism, and the belief that it will work! Doc advised "lots of sex, morning, noon, and night, doctor's orders!" LOL. So hopefully we'll see some results soon! I still may not be in control, but it is good to feel like I am FINALLY doing something and taking charge of it all! I am very hopeful as DH and I begin this next stage of our journey. On another positive note, we close on our house next Friday! Could it be that things are finally falling into place for us?

P.S. Any  ladies out there reading this who have previously taken Metformin for TTC or are currently on it, please let me know of your experience. I would be really interested in hearing about it, especially success stories.Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

One Woman's Journey to Motherhood Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez