Friday, October 26, 2012

Infertility in the Media


Show of hands, ladies, who would want this to be your RE? Not that attractiveness should be a priority when it comes to finding a highly qualified doctor to assist a couple in building their family.  I'm merely arguing that if we have to go through this anyway, shouldn't we at least be allowed something pretty to look at to help us through the process? Is that too much to ask? lol. Fertility doctors do not look like this in real life. My RE is an old guy with glasses (but he is highly skilled and accomplished in assisted reproduction and that's what matters. He doesn't need to be a pretty face to help my husband and I get our miracle baby. In fact, my husband is probably glad he isn't a pretty face. lol.). My point with all this is, TV glamorizes everything. Private Practice, in my opinion, is pretty good when it comes to a realistic portrayal of the pain of infertility, but c'mon, the doctors are waaaaay too good looking. So not realistic. lol. Then again, it is television, why have reality when we can enjoy the fantasy?

I was watching a show yesterday about infertility and this woman and her husband had been trying like crazy for 7 years to have a child. They had suffered numerous failed IVFs and eventually they lost their home and she lost her job due to all the treatments. If an employer fires someone because of fertility treatments, wouldn't that be an act of discrimination? My heart just bleeds for this couple. The show offered them a free round of IVF and I really hope it works for them! It is terrifying to think that my husband and I could still be at this 5 years from now. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

What portrayals of infertility, realistic or otherwise, have you spotted in the media?

Just a quick update, I am now on CD 29. This is when I started last month but so far no sign of AF. I am super paranoid every time I go to the restroom. Hopefully she'll stay away for the right reasons! My IF nurse said I could test Monday, but I'm going to try to hold out until at least CD35 if AF hasn't shown.  Where many women are obsessed with POAS during the TWW, I am terrified of doing so too early and suffering that disappointment of a BFN if AF is just gonna show anyway. Why go there if I don't have to? It's hard enough as it is.

I've had no symptoms other than the typical AF symptoms. My breasts were sore for a few days but I attribute that to the high progesterone. The really strange thing is, early this week I felt like I was coming down with something. It lasted only a day or two and then was gone. I googled cold symptoms and sure enough they can be a sign of pregnancy. Dr. Google is really not a friend when it comes to symptom spotting. Everything, and I mean everything, can be a sign of pregnancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

One Woman's Journey to Motherhood Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez